WebAssign supports most browers; contact WebAssign at webassign.net if you are not certain. Also, students need to check their plug-ins, especially
Flash Player,to make sure everything is still working and compatible with their system. Here are our system requirements:
I discuss the rules here for using WebAssign.
1) You have to obtain the answers in WebAssign to 1%. You must SUBMIT your answers, not just SAVE them for your answers to be graded for homework and exams.
2) Make sure you do not round off your calculations until the very end. Try to do your calculations to many significant figures, especially for relativity. The exponents are written using e or E instead of 10. For example, 1345 is written as 1.345E3. 0.001345 is written as 1.345E-3 or 13.45E-4. Try to insert your answers to at least 4 significant figures.
3) REMEMBER TO NEVER, NEVER, EVER CLICK ON A TEST IF YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO TAKE THE TEST RIGHT AT THAT TIME. THERE IS NO GOING BACK!! YOU CANNOT LOG OFF WEBASSIGN AND ACT LIKE IT NEVER HAPPENED. I HAVE A LOG OF EVERY TIME YOU LOG IN AND OUT OF WEBASSIGN. I WILL NEVER GIVE YOU A SECOND CHANCE IF YOU CLICK ON A TEST EVEN BY ACCIDENT. I AM TELLING YOU THIS NOW SO THERE IS NO MISUNDERSTANDING. IF YOU CLICK ON A TEST AT 4 AM IN THE MORNING WHEN YOU ARE TIRED, OR IF YOUR CHILD DOES IT ACCIDENTALLY, OR IF YOUR DOG JUMPS UP ON THE KEYBOARD, YOU MUST TAKE THE TEST. IF YOU DO NOT, YOU WILL RECEIVE A ZERO! I KNOW RIGHT NOW THAT THIS WILL HAPPEN TO ONE OR TWO OF YOU DURING THIS COURSE.
3) I cannot ever give you an extension for an assignment if you have looked at the answer key. Please do not look at the answer key if you want an extension, because I cannot give you an extension after you have clicked on the answer key whether you look at it or not. I have a log that tells me every thing you do on WebAssign and when you do it. The same thing applies to the exams. Once you click on the exam, you must finish it. You cannot click off or do anything to avoid taking it. If you do not take the exam then, you receive a zero, no matter what.
4) I give you 10 submissions to complete the questions for the homework. You can submit each problem separately; you do not have to submit the questions for the entire assignment at once. However, I do not believe that you can submit separately the answers to various parts of a problem. Each submission counts as one submission. I suggest that you be really careful with submissions the first time or two you use WebAssign to make sure you understand how it works.
5) I give 3 submissions for the tests. The time limit for the chapter exams is 60 minutes. I will penalize you severely if you take more than 60 minutes. There is a clock on WebAssign telling you how much time you have left.
6) I suggest that you never start a test if a storm is approaching and you are concerned that you might lose electricity. I cannot give you a second chance once you start the exam, but do not complete it.
Using UVa Email
How to Succeed
Special Learning Help
Frequently Asked Questions
Student Guide to WebAssign